Wednesday 21 April 2010

Find of the Month

So there I was out walking with Samson last night along the walkway/woodland area near to where I live and out of the corner of my eye I spotted them. FOUR comfrey plants, just there growing at the side of the lane. I have an establish comfrey plant on my allotment, but hey an extra four plants that I’ll be able to visit and take some cuttings from as and when I like (providing nobody else knows about them and beats me to it).

I’m informed that you can cut the comfrey plant four or five times a year, the first cut is recommended to be used by layering the trench for your potatoes. The remaining cuts; if you steep them in some water for several weeks it becomes a lovely (stinky) potion which the tomatoes and potatoes absolutely thrive on. If that wasn’t good enough, if you wilt the leaves these are good for the chucks to eat, FREE FOOD, it can’t be bad.

Don’t forget Alys Fowler and The Edible Garden on BBC2 tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I'm planning to make a liquid feed out of mine this year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...