Monday 1 February 2010

What to do with all these Potatoes

So with the snow once again arriving here in the North East at the weekend, well at least it did here in Middlesbrough, all plans of getting on with things came to a shuddering halt. It’s very frustrating, is it always like this, the constant battle over the winter months with the weather? I suppose I’ve not taken much notice or been interested about the weather in the past, if it rained it rained, if it snowed it snowed, if it was sunny, it was a bonus. But now I’m very interested.

Remember last week I got my order of seed potatoes, and the extra that had been delivered, well call me keen (more like stupid) when I visited ‘Potato Day’ at Nature World on the 31st , I only went and bought some more. 4 seed potatoes of each of the following Maincrop varieties: Nicola, Cara, Markies and Anya. So now I’ve gone and given myself a conundrum, what will I do with all these potatoes?

I had planned on a 5 year (4 beds) rotation policy, with roots and potatoes in the bed together, (now now). Given the amount of potatoes I’ve now got, I’m now thinking of a 6 year (5 beds) plan and having potatoes by themselves and all other roots together. With that in mind, I’m even keener that the weather starts to play nicely.

Interesting Fact: Did you know that in October 1995, the potato became the first vegetable to be grown in space? NASA and the University of Wisconsin, Madison, created the technology with the goal of feeding astronauts on long space voyages, and eventually, feeding future space colonies. Maybe I should send NASA some of my seed potatoes to plant for me, lol

I’ve found a little website all about potatoes, go to www.lovepotatoes.co.uk its got some interesting bits on it.

1 comment:

  1. I do a four year rotation, with the potatoes having a bed of their own. It's hard to resist buying more when you see all the different varieties there in front of you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...