Back to the present day then, I have put on another four roof panels on the bottle house, it is starting to come together. I'm going to have to sort out some kind of support for the middle supports of the roof. With the weight of the panels on the back side it is pulling on the middle supports and tilting to one side. When I have put up the two panels on the front facing side, I have had to put these in the middle positions with a hope to counteract the weight on the supports, once I have the final two in position I will assess it more, but I think to be on the safe side I'll have to sort something out, else I may come down one day and the roof will be in next doors allotment, I don't think they'll be too pleased about that. Here is a quick picture of how it is coming on.
Six Roof Panels Attached
I've put up my bean supports, and direct planted some French Beans and some Runner Beans. I have done this down one side of each set of supports, I have also sowed (have I spelt that right?) some Runner Beans in pots in the greenhouse, I will plant out these along the other side of the structure. Hopefully this will give me differing cropping times, we'll see. Additionally, I sowed some Borlotti (French) Beans in the greenhouse, these are to go on the other side of the direct planted ones, these will be left on the plant for picking at the end of the season and drying for stews etc in the winter. When I pull up my Garlic and Shallots towards the end of the month, I will plant another crop of French Beans, dwarf varieties in the bed which they vacate. I may even try some in the little polytunnel I have (this isn't ready yet, area still to be dug over and cover put on).
I've direct sowed some more parsnips. My first batch which I pre-chitted at home and planted into peat pots were quite successful and these have been planted out and looking quite nice. Thinking it was going well I tried to do the same again, but only about two seeds germinated, so I tried again, this time none of the seeds germinated. I've given it one more chance using some free seeds which I got with a magazine only a couple of weeks ago, so the seeds would be viable you'd think. I've put two/three seeds per station and will thin (hopefully) to one per station if and when they germinate. I'm not sure with parsnip seeds, they say you have to use fresh each year, but I got the seeds last year but hadn't opened them, they had a sow by date of 2013 so I thought they'd be OK, but apparently not. I had hoped to plant out my brassica plants, but the rain came and boy did it come. I'd dodged the rain all day yesterday and again this morning, but when I returned after some lunch the rain gods were not playing...