Wednesday 9 May 2012

A Break in the Rain

Welcome to Mark N and West9, thanks for dropping by and I hope you enjoy the journey...


Hallelujah, we've actually had a break in the weather, well the rain, it's still rather chilly. Since the beginning of April, I can't remember going any longer than a day without rain, rain or even more rain. To be quite frank, if it didn't rain again until ooh maybe November I wouldn't be bothered, even though that means watering the garden with 6,7 or 8 litre watering cans, I'd quite happily suffer in silence. The rain and continuous cold spell has put the season back quite a few weeks, for me anyhow. But this bank holiday weekend we had 3 days of mostly dry conditions.


So I struck while the iron was hot so to speak with that dry weather... I spent most of Saturday at the allotment digging over the area where the potatoes are going to go (eventually), all of Sunday afternoon and evening and then went back again at 8am on Bank Holiday Monday to spend another 6 solid hours finishing off the job. Who in their right mind goes digging on an allotment at 8am on a Bank Holiday Monday! One mad plotter that's who... I was dead on my feet by the end of it, the soil was quite waterlogged and very heavy, which made digging rather hard work. But I did it, it's all cleared and raised beds are starting to appear.


Here are a few pictures of how the 'Solanace' patch has improved....


How it all started with the weeds (July 11)


The weeds chopped down...


You can see here (April 12) that I've took down part of the fence and started to dig over the potato (solanace) area, a couple of beds are in but still a bit to dig over...


Here (May 12) the whole of the potato (solanace) area has now been cleared, dug over and another bed created.


So hopefully the weather will hold off this weekend so that I can finish building the remaining beds and get the potatoes in.... please Mr Weatherman, play nicely...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...